Aerial Work Platform Safety Training
Your Safety DepartmentSM
Your Safety DepartmentSM offers Aerial Work Platform Training for Boom Supported and Self-Propelled Scissor Lifts at your site. We set the standard for workplace safety when it comes to the operation of mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs). All of our Aerial Lift Training Programs meet or exceed applicable safety requirements, including industry safety standards and government regulations.
Our blended course includes both General Training on multiple pieces of equipment of a particular type including push-around, boom lifts, scissor lifts, and trailer-mounted boom lifts in a classroom setting followed by Familiarization with specific models before use and a documented Practical Evaluation to ensure competency to the certification requirements.
General Training (Length: 4-5 hours)
The attendee of the class will become familiar with the general instructions for operators regarding inspection, application, and operation of AWP equipment, including recognition and avoidance of hazards associated with their use as covered in ANSI/SIA Standards A92.3, A92.5, and A92.6. These practices include:
- The actual operation of the aerial platform "under the direction of a qualified person."
- The need for the trainee to operate the platform for a sufficient period of time to demonstrate proficiency.
- Regulations and standards
- The need to perform workplace inspections
- Recognition and avoidance of common hazards
- Operator warnings and instructions
- The purpose and use of manuals
- A pre-start inspection
- Factors affecting stability
- Personal protective equipment including fall protection
- General equipment components
- Safe use of equipment
- The proper selection of the AWP equipment for the job at hand
- The application and understanding of typical options that are associated with larger machines: e.g. outriggers, stabilizers, extendable axles, envelope management system, load-moment devices and dual capacity
When completed, the General Training is the first step for qualifying an operator to operate any like-type AWP as long as he/she is also familiarized with the controls and safety devices of the other like-type equipment.
Familiarization (Length: ~1 hours)
Familiarization training includes a review of the following with each person designated to operate the equipment.
- Identify the weather resistant compartment (for manual(s) storage
- Confirm that the manual(s) as specified by the manufacturer is on the aerial platform
- Review control functions
- Review safety devices specific to the model aerial platform being delivered
Practical Evaluation (Length: ~30 minutes)
- Visual Checks
- Operator Checks
- Basic Operating Procedures
- General Safety
WHO SHOULD TAKE THE COURSE:
This course is designed for personnel who are employers, supervisors, owners, operators, users, and qualified personnel who require training before the operation of aerial work platforms by OSHA Regulations.
The successful participant will receive a wallet-sized, laminated Aerial Work Platform Certification Card valid for three years.
The cost per student is $210.00
Please call to schedule, or use our contact form and we will respond within 24 hours of your request.